Adventure Better in Calfornia's National Parks
The Adventure Club Parks Collection was put to the test by melin Family, AJ van de Water aka “Fotornr” as he explored key destinations within California’s National Parks. Check out these must-see spots within Joshua Tree, Big Sur, and Yosemite National Parks as you plan your next adventure in some of California’s most beautiful landscapes.
- Skull Rock - Rad formations of a rock that looks like a skull. Fun to take the kiddos there if you have some. Awesome hiking around the area and great views of the park itself on top of the rocks. Amazing camping around the area. You do need a reservation for most sites, but all of them are worth it.
- In general, the park itself is something you don't see everyday. I love the trees you can put in front of some surreal backdrops of the mountains. It's a great place to chill, hike, climb, and take photos day or night.
- Pioneer Town, this was my first time there, and I was there pretty early. I've always wanted to visit and it did not disappoint. There’s a VERY popular restaurant called Pappy + Harriets - I'll definitely be going back with the family
- Half Dome is always a must see. You can't get too close by car, so you’ll need to hike in a little if you want an upfront base view. You can see it from multiple locations in the park otherwise.
- El Capitan is definitely a must see, and you can't really miss it while you’re in the park.
- Tunnel View is located right outside of one of the tunnels on Wawona Rd (HWY 41) and provides spectacular views because you can see El Capitan, Half Dome and Bridalveil Falls in one shot - a photographer’s paradise.
- Keep in mind you need a reservation to drive through the park. Unless you are able to get there before 6am or after 4pm, you won't be able to get in.
- Bixby Bridge is at the north end of Big Sur. Technically it's in Monterey, but it's been a staple of Big Sur. We stop here everytime we pass through. Lots of tourism here, so get there early if you want some good photos! But, there's a good chance you'll get some early morning fog.
- Pfeiffer State Beach - Another one of our favorite beaches to visit. If you time it right, you can get a really cool sunset through the big rock. Also a great place to chill on the more north end of the beach. The road into this place can get REALLY tight, sometimes only room for one vehicle. And the park can fill up quick. So get there early!
- McWay Falls - Quick and not so easy visit, but very popular. They've changed the way to get into this park, and you could almost miss it, if you're not paying attention. There's a parking lot on your right (going north) or on your left (going south). There is also a VERY small parking lot on the other side of a one lane bridge which means it can get congested real quick. The short walk is a nice leg stretcher and the view of the falls flowing into the ocean is amazing. Spend about 10-15 minutes here and head back to the car and continue on!